The most eccentric house in the Carthage district is the George Calvin Graves House, which was under construction in 1882 as a Italianate dwelling. An 1897 remodeling probably resulted in the addition of the monumental portico which spans the facade and the construction of a small octagonal tower which marks the join between the main block and a rear ell in the Queen Anne style.
Rear additions greatly expanded the house; some of the additions have the appearance of being separate buildings which were attached to parts of the house in a somewhat random fashion. Among the many unusual features of the Graves House are the classical heads which are attached to various elements, such as the front porch and complex bay windows on the side elevations.
George Calvin Graves was a prominent and prosperous merchant and livery stable operator in late 19th and 20th centuries: first licensed druggist in Carthage.
In 1979 the house was featured in a calendar published by the MCHA. It looked great back then. The info on the calendar said: "Built in 1879 for George Calvin Graves by W.H. Gluck. Graves was a leading merchant in the area with a general store, livery stable, two farms, a cotton gin, grist mill and turpentine distillery.
He imported horses and mules from the west and traded in buggies and wagons. Remodeled in the 1890s the Graves home was one of the finest in Moore County and is being restored by Vernon and Jerry Watson who acquired the house from Graves' grandson Henry in 1968. Issue 1979."